10 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Be Working Right Now
Owning your own business means you have hands stuck to your keyboard, iPhone or Blackberry, a brain wired to the constant status of your Tweet page and a keen ability to put fires out as they arise in your growing empire. If you’re like most entrepreneurs, you work too much.
The dream of “freedom” is more in philosophy than actuality–meaning, you have all the freedom you want but entrepreneurs usually work harder for themselves but rarely take time off, even though they can. This holiday weekend, however, let my words be a permission slip for you to step awaaaaay from your computer (unless you’re looking up movie listings – Bruno is on mine) and take a load off. Here are some compelling reasons:
1. Engagement works best when there’s disengagement. The intensity of most of your work days requires a balance of “off” time in order to remain interesting. Think of it this way; if you’re around your husband every second of every day, at the end of that day, it’s not as exciting as when you’ve been apart. You re-engage with each other. Same is true of work.
2. A free mind makes many ideas. It’s amazing how productive a stroll through a flea market can be.
3. To be a thought leader, you must have thoughts. Work, work, work does not allow information to marinate and synthesize into points of view….otherwise known as….thoughts.
4. Reading the paper, a magazine or a good book requires two hands and NO keyboard. Do I really need to give you a good reason to read? If the Public Service Announcements did their job when you were a kid, I shouldn’t have to.
5. You only have right now. Walk on the beach. Play with your kids. Make a sand castle. Drive in your car and turn up a great song. We so often multi-task. Just do one thing at a time for once.
6. Data is constantly being produced but as humans, we only have so much bandwidth to receive it. Check out for a while. There will always be more coming down the pike.
7. Dive into a hobby. What if you sell your business for millions? You need to have fun occupations that have nothing to do with a revenue stream.
8. Take an adventure, it makes you more fun. You’ll have something cool to tell people when you reemerge and everyone loves to do business with interesting people doing rogue things.
9. Go, do or be without any intention of it being productive. It harkens back to a time when people smelled a lot more roses a lot more of the time.
10. Because it’s Fourth of July weekend! Drink a Bloody Mary (or a Bloody Shame if you take it without vodka.) Relax. Your days on earth are numbered. Really dig in and enjoy as many of them as possible. Work only brings you so much; but play, well, play will keep you laughing your ass off.
Amy Swift Crosby is the founder of SMARTY, a community and resource for entrepreneurial women.